Saint John the Baptist Catholic Schools "SPELLING BEE"
WHO: Students, Grades 4-8
(Qualify by winning your Classroom/Language Arts Bee –
to be held the Week of January 7, 2013.)
WHEN: Friday, January 25, 2013: 9:00am; Winner will advance to the Salt Lake Valley Spelling Bee on March 9, 2013 (JDCHS Auditorium).
WHERE: JDCHS Auditorium
WHY: To help students improve their spelling, increase their vocabulary, learn concepts, and develop correct English usage.
HOW: Study the 100 words for your grade level, and once mastered, learn the study words for other grade levels. The word list for Saint John the Baptist Catholic Schools’ Spelling Bee will include words that appear on the lists for Grades 5–8.
• For inspiration, watch the documentary Spellbound on family movie night.
• Keep a "great words" journal for every new and interesting word that you find.
• Designate a spelling wall in your home. Post new words to the wall each day.
• For family game night, conduct an impromptu themed spelling bee. Use a newspaper for a current events bee or a cookbook for a cuisine bee.
• Do like Akeelah did. Spell and jump rope!
• Ask friends and neighbors to challenge you with great spelling words.
• Find a good luck charm—perhaps shoelaces with a bumblebee design or a special coin.
• Read great books. You'll be entertained while you effortlessly improve your spelling and increase your vocabulary.
• Scour the dictionary in search of words to stump your parents and teachers.
Check out "Spell It! - Tricks & Tips for Spelling Bee Success" (PDF)
Word List for 4th Grade (PDF)
Word List for 5th Grade (PDF)
Word List for 6th Grade (PDF)
Word List for 7th Grade (PDF)
Word List for 8th Grade (PDF)